I’m a graduate student (Ph.D.) at the University of Rhode Island. I was born and grown in a hilly area, studied mountain environment in my graduate level, worked for a few years as a researcher in a mountainous country and now studying in ocean state Rhode Island. Now, I have nothing to do with the mountain but the water research bridges my mountain works with the coastal one. Do not ask me why I decided to work in the coastal region. Dynamism is a beauty, right!
I want to write some technical issues related to water and environment as a whole and sometimes broader issues that are of public interest. The opinion written here is mine unless those are explicitly attributed to others. I like live discussions on the topics that I will be writing, therefore I welcome comments from the readers. And at last, I must say that English is not my first language.
You can write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
My research sites
My awards and fellowships
- Principal Investigator: Rainwater harvesting for mitigating drought in western Nepal
- AGU Centennial Grant Winner, Americal Geophysical Union (AGU) 2019
- Best Poster Award 2018 (Third Position), Clean Water Symposium, University of Rhode Island
- PROVIA Young Research Fellow 2016 by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Berkner Fellowship 2014 by American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- TIRI Scholar 2014 by Feed the Future Livestock-Climate Change Innovation Lab at Colorado State University, USA
- CREEW Research Award 2009 for Master’s Degree Dissertation work, NEPAL
My research articles
- PANTHI, J., KHATOWADA, K., SHRESTHA, M.L., DAHAL, P. 2018. Water poverty mapping in the context of climate change – a case study from Karnali basin in Nepal Himalaya. International Journal of River Basin Management
- PANTHI, J., ARYAL, S., DAHAL, P., BHANDARI, P., KRAKAUER, N. Y. & PANDEY, V. P. 2016. Livelihood vulnerability approach to assessing climate change impacts on mixed agro-livestock smallholders around the Gandaki River Basin in Nepal. Regional Environmental Change, 16, 1121-1132.
- PANTHI, J., DAHAL, P., SHRESTHA, M., ARYAL, S., KRAKAUER, N., PRADHANANG, S., LAKHANKAR, T., JHA, A., SHARMA, M. & KARKI, R. 2015a. Spatial and Temporal Variability of Rainfall in the Gandaki River Basin of Nepal Himalaya. Climate, 3, 210 [This is the most cited paper of the journal]
- PANTHI, J., KRAKAUER, N. Y. & PRADHANANG, S. M. 2015b. Sharing climate information in the Himalayas. EOS Washington DC: American Geophysical Union.
- PANTHI, J., LI, F., WANG, H., ARYAL, S., DAHAL, P., GHIMIRE, S. & KABENGE, M. 2017. Evaluating climatic and non-climatic stresses for declining surface water quality in Bagmati River of Nepal. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 189, 292.
- ARYAL, S., PANTHI, J., DHAKAL, Y. R., GAIRE, N. P., KARKI, K. & JOSHI, N. R. 2018. Historically evolved practices of the Himalayan transhumant pastoralists and their implications for climate change adaptation. International Journal of Global Warming, 14, 356-371.
- JHA, A., MALLA, R., SHARMA, M., PANTHI, J., LAKHANKAR, T., KRAKAUER, N., PRADHANANG, S., DAHAL, P. & SHRESTHA, M. 2016. Impact of Irrigation Method on Water Use Efficiency and Productivity of Fodder Crops in Nepal. Climate, 4, 4.
- KHATIWADA, K., PANTHI, J., SHRESTHA, M. & NEPAL, S. 2016. Hydro-Climatic Variability in the Karnali River Basin of Nepal Himalaya. Climate, 4, 17.
- KRAKAUER, N., PRADHANANG, S., PANTHI, J., LAKHANKAR, T. & JHA, A. 2015. Probabilistic Precipitation Estimation with a Satellite Product. Climate, 3, 329.
- PANTHI, J., DAHAL, P., KIRAT, N., KRAKAUER, N. 2015. Climate and Land Use Change in Gandaki River Basin and its Impacts to Livestock Herding (Research brief)
Other publications (common interest topics)
- Sea-Level Rise won’t affect every place in the same way, Envirobites (6 Nov 2018)
- Soil in the Succotash Marsh, Rhode Island: Coring for clues to past coastal storms, Envirobites(21 November 2018)
- Is climate change increasing the number of hurricanes we get and will we continue seeing more hurricane damage? Envirobites, (13 December 2018)
- 津波: The Story of the Wave, Envirobutes (21 December 2018)
- Concept Development – Water, Water Pollution and Conservation – a General Guide Book (in the Nepali language)
- Editor – Proceedings of International Conference on Climate Change Innovation and Resilience for Sustainable Livelihood, 12-14 January 2015, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Editor – Proceedings of the Graduates’ workshop on Green Economy (28 July 2013)
- Writer – Environmental change and child rights (in the Nepali language)
Graduate Teaching Assistant (URI)
- Fall 2019: Soil Morphology and Mapping with Dr. Stolt
- Fall 2019: Natural Resource Conservation (Intro) with Dr. Still
- Spring 2020: Global Climate Change (Geo305) with Dr. Pradhanang
- Spring 2020: Understanding the Earth (Geo103) with Dr. Laliberte
- Media Assistant for Deep Carbon Observatory project (May-August 2019) with Dr. Pockalny
- PROVIA Fellow Internship at Tongji University (UNEP-ESD) in China (March-April 2016) with Dr. Li Fengting